What is Rainbow Fiber?
Rainbow fiber-to-the-premise (FTTP) is the delivery of a communications signal over fiber optics to a home or business. This fiber connection is superior to any existing copper infrastructure such as telephone wires or coaxial cable. Fiber is a relatively new and advanced method that delivers virtually unlimited Internet bandwidth to consumers and businesses. Current fiber optic technology can provide two-way transmission speeds of up to 1,000 megabits per second. That’s 1 Gig! Further, as cable modem and DSL providers are struggling to squeeze higher bandwidth out of their technologies, ongoing improvements in fiber optic equipment are constantly increasing available bandwidth without having to change the fiber. As technology continues to demand more and more Internet bandwidth, your fiber will be ready to grow with it. That’s why fiber networks are said to be future proof!
Whether wind, snow or busy times of the day, with fiber-powered services from Rainbow, you’ll always be connected when it matters most.
Having fiber to your home can turn your home into an entertainment hotspot.
- Stream HD & 4K shows and movies
- Stream fitness classes on gym equipment
- Connect Alexa devices throughout home and use as intercom system or whole-home speakers
With connectivity speeds up to 1 Gig, you’ll experience fast, reliable Internet the way it was meant to be.
1. How do I sign up?
That’s easy! Just click here to show your interest!
2. What is the advantage of a fiber network?
Fiber networks are the most advanced and reliable networks. It offers the most up-to-date technology and is considered future proof.
3. What is the difference between different types of Internet connections?
Coaxial: Distance becomes a problem. Bandwidth can degrade quickly and can require extenders every 5,000 feet.
DSL: Minimal speeds are available and distance is very limited.
Fiber: Deliver speeds and transmit data at a fast rate and have low latency.
4. How does Rainbow fiber benefit the city of Atchison?
1. Faster Internet: Our network is capable of keeping up with the technology demands of residents and businesses. Fiber is able to provide the fastest download and upload speeds, allowing consumers to do as much streaming, gaming, and file uploading as they wish.
2. Increased Home Value: Having access to fiber at your home increases your home value by 3.1%. A study from the Fiber Broadband Association showed that a house that has fiber access adds 1.3% value and adds an additional 1.8% if the house can support up to 1 gig. Adding 3.1% to your home’s value is equivalent to adding $5, 437 to the sample median home price. That’s like adding 1 full fireplace, ½ bathroom, or ¼ of a swimming pool.
3. Community Development: A fiber network can help a city position their community for tomorrow’s jobs and economic growth. Chambers and economic development groups will be able to show developing businesses the possibilities their business can do with their broadband connection.
5. Will anyone within the city limits be able to connect to your fiber network?
We are committed to installing fiber in every fiberhood that reaches the percentage goal of level of interest. Once the fiberhood reaches the required percentage goal, the fiberhood will be put in line to have fiber built to it.
6. How long will it take to get fiber to me?
The fiber project is expected to take several years to complete. The initial construction is expected to begin in 2021. Rainbow will build to each fiberhood after they receive the required percentage goal of level of interest. The sooner your fiberhood reaches the goal, the sooner your fiberhood will be put on the construction list!
7. Has Rainbow ever done fiber before?
Yes, we installed fiber-to-the-home to all of our cooperative towns (Bendena, Denton, Everest, Huron, Muscotah, Robinson, Whiting, and Willis) in 2010. Since then, we have built a fiber network to businesses in some of our other communities (Hiawatha, Highland, Horton, Sabetha, Seneca, Troy, and Wathena).
We also have been a part of two tribal fiber deployments: Iowa Tribe and Sac and Fox Nation.
Recently, we installed a fiber network to the Shannon Industrial Park and the Atchison Amelia Earhart Airport.
8. What services can I get?
9. What is the process for getting fiber to my house?
First, show interest by filling out this form. Once we have reached the percentage goal of level of interest for your fiberhood, you will transition to the sign-up stage.
The sign-up stage will consist of selecting the plan that best fits your business or family’s needs and paying a $25 non-refundable commitment fee. The commitment fee will be applied to your first month’s service. Once there are enough commitments for your fiberhood, construction plans will be underway!
It is important that you express your interest in the fiber network to your neighbors. The faster we reach the percentage goal of interest for your fiberhood, the faster you’ll receive access to our fiber network!
10. How do I know what speed would be best for my household?
Click here to take our interactive broadband calculator.
11. How do I know what speed I have now?
Click here to take a speed test.
You may want to take it several times – at different times of the day to see how doing different activities will require different amount of bandwidth.
12. Is there an installation charge?
We are offering free installation for new customers. That’s a savings of up to $118 for residential customers!
13. Will my yard be impacted by the build?
Yes, it is possible that your yard will be impacted by the fiber network. The construction crews will always use the right of way if possible. However, each yard and home are different and can vary by the outdoor circumstances.
14. Will any roads be impacted or closed?
Should there be any roads closed, our construction crews will work with the appropriate party (for example, the city) to ensure everyone’s safety.
15. Did Rainbow purchase the old Atchison Grocery Warehouse?
Yes, you heard right! Our permanent business location will be at 101 Commercial Street in Atchison. However, we are doing some modifications to the building. Our temporary office location will be at 110 North 6th Street.
16. How do I check my fiberhood's progress?
Checking the progress of your fiberhood’s interest is easy! Simply, click here and re-enter your address and click “Find”. The screen will show you a map of the city of Atchison along with a progress bar that shows the percentage of interest submitted.
Please do not select “I’m Interested” again if you have already submitted interest for your location. If you are unsure if your address has submitted interest, please give us a call at 800-892-0163.
17. How can I speed up the process of getting fiber to my neighborhood?
When submitting your interest through the site, be sure to have your friends and neighbor email addresses handy. At the end of the interest submission, you have the option to share on social media & emailing your friends and neighbors. The email contains the link that they need to submit interest for their location.
If you’ve already submitted your interest and didn’t have your friend’s email handy, you can fill out a form through this link and your friend will receive an email letting them know you submitted interest and thought they might be interested, too!